Saturday, September 10, 2011

Bake Sale

For those of you who my son, Christian, is type 1 and has been for 5 years.  He was diagnosed when he was 11 and he is now 16.  Each year around this time the JDRF (Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation) has a walk around the Scera Park in Orem.  I write a walk letter for him and ask for donations that we give the the JDRF in the hopes that someday soon they will find a cure for this horrible disease and other families wont have to go through what we go through and what Christian goes through each and every day. 

This year I decided to do something different and do a bake sale.  I have a friend that is the Shoe Fairy and I teamed up with her and her monthly fundraising yard sales that she has.  I made 15 dozen cupcakes and sold them for 1$ each.  I made a pretty good profit to donate this year.  I am so glad that I teamed up with her. 

I did get a few comments from people about doing cupcakes for something that has to do with diabetes.  I would have to explain to them that Christian has type 1 which is different from type 2.  With type 1, you control it with shots not with diet and exercise like you do with type 2.  I told them that Christian could have sugar sometimes but when he did have sugar, he would have to take a shot because his body didn't produce the insulin like other people because his pancreas has stopped working. 



Pumpkin with cream cheese frosting


Vanilla bean with strawberry butter cream


Chocolate cake with mint butter cream

Coconut cake with coconut frosting topped with shredded coconut

German Chocolate

Chocolate cake with peanut butter cream cheese

No comments:

Post a Comment