Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Coconut Cake

This is a very old recipe that has come to me by way of my MIL and it was her Aunts Grandmothers recipe (or something like that).  It does call for a fair amount of oil, but it also makes 2 loaf tins :)    Hope you enjoy it as much as I do.  It is one of my favorites to make.  I like to serve mine with a dollop of cool whip.....YUMMY!

Coconut Cake (typed as written)

Grease and flour 2 loaf tins
 
3 cups flour mixed with 1/2 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 baking powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt

In a large bowl beat 4 eggs; add 1 cup oil and 2 cups sugar; 2 teaspoons coconut flavoring.  Mix well.  Add 1 cup buttermilk and blend well with flour.  Then add 1 cup coconut; 1 cup chopped nuts and mix well,  Pour batter into loaf tins and bake one hour at 350.  When done punch holes in hot cake with ice pick and pour syrup (recipe to follow) over top and let stand for 4 hours before serving.

Syrup:
1 cup sugar; 1/2 cup water; 1 teaspoon coconut flavoring
Boil one minute.  Pour over hot cake 


The way I do it is I add the eggs, oil, sugar and coconut flavoring.  Beat on low until somewhat mixed because of the amount of oil.  Then I alternate the buttermilk and flour mixture starting with flour and ending with flour.  Then I add the coconut and nuts (I mix these in by hand) and pour into loaf pans.  For the holes in the cake, I use a tomato slicer/holder thing that I got from Pampered Chef.  Works great for it.  When making the syrup, cook on med/low until sugar is dissolved then turn heat up to med and bring to boil.  Make sure you keep an eye on the syrup so that it doesn't burn. 

I hope you don't let all of the added extras make it so you wont try this recipe.  it really is very easy to make and so yummy.  Let me know when you make it.  I would love your feed back on what you thought of it

No comments:

Post a Comment