Saturday, June 25, 2011

Cake Pops


I am trying my hand at cake pops or cake bites (whichever you would like to call them)

I gathered all my ingredients
*Cake mix~you can either use a box mix or one from scratch.  Since it is my first time, I didn't want to use all my cake ingredients just in case they didn't turn out :)
*Frosting~again you can either use from scratch or in the container (I used the container just in case my family didn't like them)
*Lollipop Sticks~this is where they either become cake pops or cake bites
*Candy Melts~Wilton is the best
*Styrofoam block to put pops in
*Anything you would like to use to decorate with~sprinkles, tube gel, nuts....

Bake cake and mash up, once cake is cooled-really cooled like overnight cooled-crumble it up into a bowl.  Stir in frosting, a little at a time.  Once it reaches a nice consistency that will cling together when you roll it in a ball, you are there.  Stick in fridge (for about 1 hour), once it is nice and cool, start rolling into balls.  Size and shape is up to you  (you can use and ice cream scoop to make balls uniform).  Stick them back in the fridge.  While they are in the fridge, melt the chocolate candies.  The candy melts from Wilton are the best to use since they melt good.  Make sure that they are melted all the way through as it makes it easier for the chocolate to stick to the pops.  Take them out of the fridge-get sticks ready by dipping them slightly into melted candy before inserting them into cake balls.  This will help them stay in better. 






 This is where you can either put them in the fridge or the freezer.  When coating them with the melted candy, make sure that you rotate them for even coverage.  Decorate as you would like and put in the Styrofoam to drip dry :) 

I know it sounds like alot to do but when I made them, it wasn't that bad.  All the steps went by pretty fast and since you put them in the fridge you can do other things and it doesn't seem like you are in the kitchen ALL day baking. I just tried frosting a couple of them and you will definitely need to put them back into the fridge after you insert the candy sticks.  In fact, you could even put them in the freezer for about an hour to make sure that they will stay in the cake balls.

Some side notes for you all.....Make sure that when you make them on a hot day after you put the sticks in....FREEZE THEM!! I tried a few without freezing them and they come off the stick.  I put mine in the freezer for about an hour before I dipped them in the melted chocolate and it worked GREAT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment