Friday, April 15, 2011

Banana Bread

Banana Bread is one of my favorite things to snack on.  If I have a loaf around, give me time and I will eat the WHOLE loaf all by myself  :)  I used to make my grandmas recipe, but it was a really heavy recipe (sorry Grandma).  I had wanted something lighter. I went searching for one and the one that I found is very tasty.  It uses crushed Nilla Wafers (I leave a few chunky pieces in mine.  I don't know why, guess I just like it that way).   The easiest way to do the wafer crumbs is to put them in a food processor and blend away :)
Did you know that if you have extra bananas that you can't use right now you can freeze them?  Just make sure that you put 1 teaspoon lemon juice after you mash them and before you freeze them.  They won't turn black if you do


  Banana Walnut Bread (makes 1 loaf)

1 1/2 cups flour
35 Nilla Wafers, finely crushed (about 1 1/4 cups)
2 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
3/4 cups sugar
2 eggs
1/2 cup milk
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
3/4 cup walnuts

Preheat oven to 350.  Mix flour, wafer crumbs, baking powder and salt.  Set aside.

Beat butter and sugar in medium bowl with eclectic mixer on medium speed until creamy.  Add eggs; beat until light and fluffy.  Blend in bananas.  Add flour mixture alternately with milk, beating well after each addition.  Stir in 1/2 cup of the walnuts.  Spread into a greased loaf pan.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup walnuts.

Bake 1 hour 10 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool 10 minutes in pan, remove and let cool to wire rack; cool completely.




No comments:

Post a Comment